Memories can be deceiving. What can provide more evidence of this than my very own blog. Some of my frequent readers (I'm counting one) may recall two of my earlier posts, "Let there not be light!" and "My Time Machine". One of the posts was about how I used to enjoy solitude during the 1 hour loadsheddings of yesteryear. Well, loadsheddings have increased to 4 times a day now and I don't seem to enjoy it one bit.
Similarly, the other post was about an enjoyable one-off family picnic we had a few years back. Well, I tried to recreate the same picnic this December by attempting to find the same picnic spot. I even played the same song (Telegraph Road) on our way back. However, nothing magical happened. Not that I'm saying I didn't have fun, but it wasn't exactly how I imagined it would be.
Maybe its because things have changed since these events actually happened. Or, maybe, its because I have changed as time has gone by. I would think that its a combination of the two. Plus, I think, our memories sometimes magnify one pole of the emotions that we go through. Like for instance, if you fancied some person at some point in time, your memories of the things that you were fond of would supersede the little things that bothered you about the person.
Also, I think I was too busy trying to relive my old memories instead of maybe focusing on making new ones. It just goes to show that I've either been living in the past, or worrying too much about the future. Maybe I should just concentrate on the 'now' instead of the 'befores' and 'afters'.
I guess that means my soundtrack of happiness is on shuffle from now on.
No comments:
Post a Comment