The human race is very selfish. I’ve hardly seen a person do something generous unless he or she benefits in some way. Take charity for example. There are two reasons I could come up with which would explain why people give charity. Firstly, contributing to charity gives people satisfaction. It satisfies them that they’re doing something substantial to make the world a better place. The second reason would be fulfilling a religious obligation. People would be willing to spare some money in order to be able to enjoy the afterlife in heaven. In both cases they’re benefiting in some way. I’d like to see someone do something without getting anything in return, even if it’s only a feeling of satisfaction. Like for someone who hates giving money to give it anyway, and still feel bad about it. Now that would be an unselfish person, since he really has nothing to gain.
I believe that’s where the saying "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" comes in. No matter how innocuous or straightforward something may appear, there are always some strings attached to it. That’s why I’ve made a habit of looking in the rearview mirror; I’m cynical as hell. Or, perhaps, I may be a bit selfish myself.
1 comment:
Interesting to know.
Post a Comment