Monday, March 25, 2013

Any color you like!

Few questions have confounded man over the years; some that come into mind include 'Why did the chicken cross the road?', 'How high is up?', and 'Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?'. Needless to say that all these questions bear significant importance at various levels concerning different parts of society.

I remember being asked a similar question when I was in Class 1 and I can safely say that I haven't been the same ever since. What appeared to be a benign 'What is your favorite color?' asked by a fellow student has  stuck with me since that very day. 'Are we supposed to have favorite colors?' and 'I don't think I have any' were my initial responses, much to the disbelief of my friend. I quickly took a gamble and went with 'red'; however, as I came to know, red was a very feminine color (again, according to my fellow students) due to its proximity with pink in the RGB color palette. And since, at that age, boys are supposed to hate girls and everything that is associated with them, I chose the very opposite of red, which apparently was blue.



What followed were many years of introspection into finding that favorite color of mine. For quite a few years I chose green mainly because it was the color of our national flag, and also because for some reason I liked the color of grass. After some time though, the color green failed my new litmus test of being a favorite; it didn't look good on cars. At this point in time, I envied my elder brother having a clear winner in gray. Gray not only looked good on cars, it was also not feminine in any way and was different from other typical favorites.

Perhaps it was at this stage that I questioned if specific car colors could be considered as favorites... was 'metallic maroon' a genuine color? Could I have silver as my favorite? Is white technically even a color? I'm not sure if I came up with a conclusive answer to that. From what I remember, I switched from one color to the other. Till this very day, I'm trying to make up my mind and this has been a constant source of worry for me. What will I tell my children if they ask me? Will they be able to look up to a father who isn't even decisive enough to pick a random color and claim it to be the best?

At the end, I'm glad I came across this quote that gave me some perspective to the situation (pun intended!)

"There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; its what we do with them that's important." - Jim Rohn

No comments: